
In a remote area near Limerick, a widow named Mary Ryan lives in a small cabin with her three children. The family is poor, relying on the kindness of wealthier neighbors for turf to keep warm during winter. One evening, while Mary is away gathering turf, her eldest daughter, Nell, notices that her younger siblings, Con and Peg, are missing. A sense of dread overtakes her as she recalls local tales of children being taken by fairies. Nell and her mother search for the missing children, but only Con and Peg return, claiming that their brother, Billy, has been taken by "grand ladies" in a beautiful carriage. In a panic, Mary rushes toward the hill of Lisnavoura, known for its fairy associations, calling for her lost child. Nell, terrified, stays behind with her siblings. As time passes, the family continues to feel the absence of Billy. Occasionally, they catch glimpses of him, but he remains elusive, always disappearing before they can reach him. These sightings gradually diminish until they cease altogether, leaving the family in despair. Months later, one winter morning, Peg sees Billy enter the cabin, looking ragged and cold. He approaches the fire but leaves silently, never to be seen again. Despite efforts from local fairy doctors and the priest, Father Tom, to retrieve him, Billy remains lost, leaving his family to mourn without a grave to visit. The story concludes with the enduring sorrow of the family, haunted by the memory of the child they can never reclaim.
By Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu · First published 1869 · Genre: Fantasy, Folklore, Gothic · 4,378 words
Eastward of the old city of Limerick, about ten Irish miles under the range of mountains known as the Slieveelim hills, famous as having afforded Sarsfield a shelter among their rocks and hollows, when he crossed them in his gallant descent upon the cannon and ammunition of King William, on its way to the beleaguering army, there runs a very old and narrow road. It connects the Limerick road to Tipperary with the old road from Limerick to Dublin, and runs by bog and pasture, hill and hollow, straw-thatched village, and roofless castle, not far from twenty miles.
The Child that Went with the Fairies is listed on Textopian as a short story by Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu, dated 1869 CE.
This source record anchors work identity, reading entry points, and catalog context for checking claims about the work.
Fairy Tale · Irish Folklore · Literary Fiction · Short Story Collection · Supernatural Fiction · Fantasy · Children's Literature · Coming of Age · Mystery · Psychological Insight · Social Commentary · Cultural Heritage